I knitted the center entrelac panel then picked up all the edge stitches ( and there were hundreds and hundreds) on two 60" circs. And around and around I went, taking care to increase at every corner, until I had only enough yarn left to bind off. After it was all said and done I felt that it had a too much drape, probably due to its size. So, to tighten it up, I felted it.
I have a front loading washer so that was out. I had read about dryer felting though it doesn't appear that it is very common. But what a revelation it was. Easy peasy. I soaked the blanket in the sink in very hot water for about 20 minutes, lightly rung it out and threw it in the dryer on its regular heated cycle for about twenty minutes.
What I think is so brilliant about this is that dries as it felts so I didn't have a sopping wet blanket to block. It was certainly damp and it took a couple days to dry completely but still much better than felting it in the washer.
I love working with wool. I have to say I would not have been as thrilled with the blanket had I not been able to felt it. It was an eleventh hour decision due to some uneven stitches and unsightly corner increases. As well, I seriously dislike obviously visible wrong sides. And the wrong side of entrelac is not pretty.
The felting totally took care of thoses issues and gave it, dare I say, a professional finish. The wrong side has ridges around the entrelac blocks but they now look purposeful.
I didn't felt it entirely. There is still some stitch definition left. I thought I would stop while I was ahead, but perhaps the day will come when it needs a bit of a cleaning and I will give it another go-around in the dryer.
I throw it over my legs every night as I knit. It's thick and soft and I believe I will still be enjoying it when I'm eighty. And how many things can you say that about.