Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thankfullness

Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone. ~G.B. Stern
I am of an age when I can remember pre-internet, when the world was a much bigger place and people and events of distant lands were very far away.  I remember when I realized how much this had changed when my sons began to play online computer games and I would hear them, on their enormous headsets, speaking routinely with other kids all over the world.  And the conversations were not only game talk but the casual flow of weather, school and world events chat.

This smaller world has become more obvious to me in my daily surfing of my favorite knitting blogs.  Defined not by geographical location but by writing skills and general interest these blogs are truly international in scope with some of them being posted in their native language with English translations.  This week the predominate theme has been thankfulness, due to American Thanksgiving.

I believe that because these blogs are primarily written by women, and that women tend to take such themes to heart, that thankfulness resonates whatever country we find ourselves in.

I was given notice of my dismissal from my job last week, for which I am very thankful.  I have a boss who is widely considered to be mentally unstable and whose pettiness and vindictiveness is legend.  While being unemployed in this time of economic crisis is frightening, I know that there are far better times ahead.  Being out from beneath that cloud of terrible darkness and negativity brought me such joy that I danced in the parking lot the day of my firing. 

I am also thankful for the unconditional support of my sons and my parents.  Again, the web has allowed me into other women's lives and made me so aware of how incredibly lucky I am to have what I have when so many others don't.  

I am thankful. Thankful for all the good in my life and thankful for this technology for reminding me to pay attention to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment