Thursday, December 1, 2011

Struggling

So I had this plan.  The book is Nicky Epstein's Knitting Block by Block


The pattern is Winter Solstice hooded scarf.

Pretty isn't it. 

The plan involved my much loved Fisherman's Wool.  I had a problem with the visible stranding on the backside of the scarf.  I hate that.  So I considered sewing on a fabric backing but that seemed like too much trouble.  Then I considered double knitting which of course doubles the number of stitches, but more importantly includes lots of purling. So that lost out to knitting a magic loop tube. All knitting, all the time.  So, see there, I had a plan. 

And I got started and I have to say it was looking good and feeling soft and warm. But I stalled. Surprisingly quickly.  You know, when the knitting is sitting there but you find yourself avoiding it? I couldn't figure it out at first. But in the end I think it is the sheer amount of work ahead of me - essentially twice the amount of work it would normally be if I didn't have a hang up over the visible standing.  Which, by the way, I'm not going to get over.

So I find myself at a crossroads.  Possibility number one: put it aside and wait for inspiration to continue.  Possibility number two: frog it.  Maybe rather than stranding I work a cable pattern on the blocks.  Each block a different shade of the Fisherman's Wool.  No ugly backside that way and only eight or ten blocks instead of sixteen or twenty.

I think I've answered my own question.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment